Mold growth is a problem that no homeowner wants to face. After all, not only will it cause your home to look unsightly, but it can also cause respiratory problems for you and your family if left unchecked. Mold can grow in numerous places around your home but one of the places it’s commonly seen is on your window sills.
Here are some tips to keep in mind to combat mold:
1. Reduce condensation – Window condensation during the winter season is one of the common reasons for mold growth around your window sills. With that in mind, you need to do all you can to prevent them from growing. Thankfully, you can easily do this by wiping the sills down with a clean, dry cloth or sponge. If you suspect mold is beginning to grow, meanwhile, wipe the sills down with a mixture of bleach and water.
2. Proper ventilation – Inadequate airflow is another major reason why mold grows on your window sills. This allows humid air to remain stagnant in your home and cause moisture to build up on the sills. To prevent this, you need to set your thermostat at 70 degrees with the fan on “auto” during warm days. Apart from that, keep your windows and doors closed while the air conditioner is on to prevent moisture buildup on the sills and use exhaust fans on the bathrooms and kitchens if needed.
3. Use a dehumidifier – On the other hand, if you want to reinforce your efforts to reduce indoor humidity in your home, consider using a dehumidifier in rooms that tend to remain damp for long periods of time.
4. Add caulk to your windows – Air leaks in your windows can cause mold growth in your window sills as well. With that in mind, prevent air leaks by adding caulk to the edges of your windows if needed.
5. Clean your windows – Surprisingly enough, regularly cleaning your home’s windows inside and out can prevent mold from growing on your window sills as well.
Make your search for window companies easier by turning to Renewal by Andersen® of San Francisco, your leading experts for window replacement and installation services. Give us a call at (510) 263-3210, or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation. We serve homeowners in San Francisco and other nearby areas.